Whether you want to use these icons with Hexographer or a general image editor (such as GIMP or Photoshop) or another RPG-related mapping product, these icons are beautiful and will enhance the look of your maps.
These icons are almost a one-for-one replacement of the default Hexographer icons. (A few icons are very simple and therefore didn’t need to be replaced… a few others were added to Hexographer as/after Keith finished these–we may add more and anyone who purchases a set of icons can always get the updated set.) While they are different from the classic mid-80s Gazzetteer maps, we think anyone who loves the style will appreciate these new icons. See the sample map key for the full list.
Like the default Hexographer icons, these are 250×250 pixel transparent PNG images. Therefore, they should look nice scaled to print even as 1″ hexes at 300dpi.
Note: Although you may publish maps with these icons, you may not resell, give away or redistribute the icons except as part of a map (image, pdf, or print.)
To use them in Hexographer, you’ll need the Pro version of Hexographer. Follow these steps:
- Unzip the file somewhere on your computer.
- Open Hexographer and create or load a new map.
- Go to the “Configure Hexes” tab and click the “Import Settings” button near the bottom.
- Use the file browser that appears, browse to the place where you unzipped the files and choose for the alt-icons.properties file.
- Back in the “Configure Hexes” tab, near the bottom, click “Apply.” Go back to your map and any terrain type which has a multicolored icon should be changed.