Welcome to the GM's Day sale! From now through March 15th, this title has been marked down by 30%! For more values, visit our GM's Day sale page.
Alternate Objectives is the latest of the Advanced Encounters series. Like all books in the series, it provides advice and tools for the DM to create more memorable encounters. Alternate Objectives focuses on creating battles where they PCs have goals beyond slaying the bad guys: things like rescuing prisoners or obtaining a powerful artifact before the opponents.
Alternate Objectives details several types of objectives and things to consider when building them. It then describes other elements that could be relevant in a range of encounters containing alternate objectives but are not tied to specific objectives. Finally Alternate Objectives provides six sample encounters along with adventure hooks and variations. These include:
- Stealing a necklace off an enemy's neck and getting away.
- Escaping from a collapsing ice cave.
- Extinguishing a fire while battling elemental bugs.
- Protecting a prince from assassins.
- Holding back efreet long enough to open a portal and escape the City of Brass.
- Convincing a fallen angel to return to the light before he kills the PCs.
NOTE: This is the D&D 4e compatible version of Terrain Toolbox. It is also available in a Pathfinder RPG compatible version.