Welcome to Sanctuary, Welcome to Thieves' World!
Sanctuary is one dangerous city. Thieves and murderers stalk its
streets. Cutthroats and cultists lurk in the shadows and death is a
constant companion. It is a city that has seen gods battle overhead,
where the fate of the Rankan Empire once hung in balance. It is a hotbed
of politics in the Known World, destination for bizarre people from far
across the seas. Sanctuary a curious and volatile mix of countless
heroes and villains, of nobles and peasants, of warriors and wizards.
Only one knows every street, every alley, every secret in this crumbling
city: Shadowspawn. Who better to serve as your guide?
Shadowspawn's Guide to Sanctuary is the definitive guide to fantasy's
most notorious city. Inside this tome, you'll find:
- A detailed history of the city, covering the periods before, during,
and after the classic Thieves' World anthologies--and preparing you for
the new ones.
- A guide to life in Sanctuary, including information on its industries,
religion, diversions, crimes and politics.
- A comprehensive guide to Sanctuary's leaders, from the legitimate
rulers to the crime lords, and all the power groups in between.
- A detailed overview of the city, presenting each neighborhood in
detail while highlighting key locations.
- Statistics and information for all of your favorite characters from
the classic anthologies including Prince Kadakithis, Shadowspawn, and
the dreaded Roxane.
- Statistics and information for nearly all of the characters featured
in the new anthologies like Cauvin, H'lott, and Heliz Yunz.
- Extensive advice for running adventures in Thieves' World, including
guidelines for adapting the city to other settings, optional rules like
action points, allegiances, and class-based dodge bonuses.
- 13 new diseases like the shrieks and delirium fever.
- 100 adventure ideas
- A slew of adventure seeds to kickstart your own adventures.
- Generic statistics for common people in Sanctuary such as assassins,
beggars, prostitutes, cultists, and of course, thieves.
- New cultures like the Shapeshifter, Lirter, and the Cantal Plains
- 12 new backgrounds including the seer, mercenary, and pirate.
- New rules for Ur-words, fragments of language that can change the very
fabric of reality!
- Several new prestige classes such as the Crimson Scholar and Dyareelan
Shadowspawn's Guide to Sanctuary is the definitive resource for
exploring and adventuring in one of the seediest cities in all of
fantasy. Designed for all fans of Thieves' World, Shadowspawn's Guide is
jammed packed with information on both eras. Armed with this massive
sourcebook, you'll have everything you need to play in Thieves' World or
to adapt it for play in your own campaign settings.
While Shadowspawn's Guide to Sanctuary contains the setting information
for Thieves' World, it is but one book in Green Ronin's Thieves' World
line. Be sure to pick up the Thieves' World Player's Manual, which
contains the basic tools you'll need to adventure in Sanctuary, and
Murder at the Vulgar Unicorn, the perfect place to begin your new
Thieves' World campaign. Finally, the Thieves' World Gazetteer expands
the world of Sanctuary, presenting never before seen information on the
The City of Sanctuary Awaits You!
The product uses material from the v3.5 revision.
- PDF Features:
- Linked Table of Contents
- Created from source files - not a scanned PDF
- Gold Vendor Updates*
- Best with Adobe Acrobat Reader 6 or later
- Edition Credits:
- Design: Aaron Rosenberg and Robert J. Schwalb
- Additional Design: Gary Astleford, Patrick O'Duffy, Owen K.C. Stephens, and C.A. Suleiman
- Research Assistance: Michelle Wilcox
- Editing: Jason Schneiderman
- Development: Robert J. Schwalb
- Proofreading: Scott Neese
- Art Direction and Graphic Design: Hal Mangold
- Cover Art: James Ryman
- Interior Art: Ilya Astrakhan, Toren "Macbin" Atkinson, Kent Burles, Talon Dunning, Empty Room Studios (Rick Hershey, Tim Hibbetts, Jia Wang, Erik Roman), David EsbrÃ, Pat Loboyko, Manoel MagalhÃ£es, Britt Martin, Mike Vilardi, Joe Wigfield
- Cartography: Rob Lazaretti
- Executive Producer: Chris Pramas
- Green Ronin Staff: Steve Kenson, Nicole Lindroos, Hal Mangold, Chris Pramas, Heather Barnhorst, Evan Sass, Marc Schmalz, and Robert J. Schwalb
* If this edition of the publication is updated due to the discovery and correction of typos or errata, you will get a free download of the corrected edition.
Experience Something New!
Each game from Green Ronin has free sample material available through our Web site, RPGNow.com, and DriveThruRPG.com. Learn a new game and experience what you've been missing today!
Game: Dragon Age RPG
The Dragon Age RPG is based on BioWare's popular Dragon Age RPG franchise, and brings the dark and gritty world of Thedas to your gaming table. This Quickstart Guide - originally featured on Free RPG Day - features rules, an adventure, and pre-generated characters so you can jump right into the action.
Game: DC Adventures (with Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition Rules)
The county fair is being held in Smallville this year and Superboy, the town's famous local hero, is invited as guest of honor. But it's not all prize pigs and cotton candy, as Knockout has come to the fair, and she's aiming to make a big impression!
The DC ADVENTURES Quick Start includes an explanation of the rules, full game statistics for Superboy and Knockout, and a short adventure featuring a brawl at the county fair, so you can jump right in to the action.
Game: A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying
These ENnie Award-winning Quick-Start rules and the adventure Journey to King’s Landing are mean to be your introduction to both the A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying game and to the fantasy world detailed in George R.R. Martin’s best-selling series of novels.
A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying is about Machiavellian court politics, family alliances and enmities, the rise and fall of kingdoms, and the clash of armies, but it is also about honor and duty, family, the responsibilities of leadership, love and loss; tournaments, murders, conspiracies, prophecies, dreams, war, great victories, and terrible defeats. It’s about knights, both false and true... and it’s about dragons.
Welcome to the world of A Song of Ice and Fire, and remember the words of House Stark: “Winter is coming.”