Welcome to Sanctuary, Welcome to Thieves' World!
Sanctuary is one dangerous city. Thieves and murderers stalk its streets. Cutthroats and cultists lurk in the shadows and death is a constant companion. It is a city that has seen gods battle overhead, where the fate of the Rankan Empire once hung in balance. It is a hotbed of politics in the Known World, destination for bizarre people from far across the seas. Sanctuary a curious and volatile mix of countless heroes and villains, of nobles and peasants, of warriors and wizards. Only one knows every street, every alley, every secret in this crumbling city: Shadowspawn. Who better to serve as your guide?
Shadowspawn's Guide to Sanctuaryis the definitive guide to fantasy's most notorious city. Inside this tome, you'll find:
- A detailed history of the city, covering the periods before, during, and after the classic Thieves' World anthologies--and preparing you for the new ones.
- A guide to life in Sanctuary, including information on its industries, religion, diversions, crimes and politics.
- A comprehensive guide to Sanctuary's leaders, from the legitimate rulers to the crime lords, and all the power groups in between.
- A detailed overview of the city, presenting each neighborhood in detail while highlighting key locations.
- Statistics and information for all of your favorite characters from the classic anthologies including Prince Kadakithis, Shadowspawn, and the dreaded Roxane.
- Statistics and information for nearly all of the characters featured in the new anthologies like Cauvin, H'lott, and Heliz Yunz.
- Extensive advice for running adventures in Thieves' World, including guidelines for adapting the city to other settings, optional rules like action points, allegiances, and class-based dodge bonuses.
- 13 new diseases like the shrieks and delirium fever.
- 100 adventure ideas
- A slew of adventure seeds to kickstart your own adventures.
- Generic statistics for common people in Sanctuary such as assassins, beggars, prostitutes, cultists, and of course, thieves.
- New cultures like the Shapeshifter, Lirter, and the Cantal Plains barbarian.
- 12 new backgrounds including the seer, mercenary, and pirate.
- New rules for Ur-words, fragments of language that can change the very fabric of reality!
- Several new prestige classes such as the Crimson Scholar and Dyareelan Disciple.
Shadowspawn's Guide to Sanctuary is the definitive resource for exploring and adventuring in one of the seediest cities in all of fantasy. Designed for all fans of Thieves' World, Shadowspawn's Guide is jammed packed with information on both eras. Armed with this massive sourcebook, you'll have everything you need to play in Thieves' World or to adapt it for play in your own campaign settings.
While Shadowspawn's Guide to Sanctuary contains the setting information for Thieves' World, it is but one book in Green Ronin's Thieves' World line. Be sure to pick up the Thieves' World Player's Manual, which contains the basic tools you'll need to adventure in Sanctuary, and Murder at the Vulgar Unicorn, the perfect place to begin your new Thieves' World campaign. Finally, the Thieves' World Gazetteer expands the world of Sanctuary, presenting never before seen information on the wider world.
The City of Sanctuary Awaits You!
The product uses material from the v3.5 revision.
BookmarkedLinked Table of ContentsCreated from source files - not a scanned PDFGold Vendor Updates*
Best with Adobe Acrobat Reader 6 or laterEdition Credits:Design:
Aaron Rosenberg and Robert J. SchwalbAdditional Design:
Gary Astleford, Patrick O'Duffy, Owen K.C. Stephens, and C.A. SuleimanResearch Assistance:
Robert J. SchwalbProofreading:
Scott NeeseArt Direction and Graphic Design:
Hal MangoldCover Art:
James RymanInterior Art:
Ilya Astrakhan, Toren "Macbin" Atkinson, Kent Burles, Talon Dunning, Empty Room Studios (Rick Hershey, Tim Hibbetts, Jia Wang, Erik Roman), David EsbrÃ, Pat Loboyko, Manoel MagalhÃ£es, Britt Martin, Mike Vilardi, Joe WigfieldCartography:
Rob LazarettiExecutive Producer:
Chris PramasGreen Ronin Staff:
Steve Kenson, Nicole Lindroos, Hal Mangold, Chris Pramas, Heather Barnhorst, Evan Sass, Marc Schmalz, and Robert J. Schwalb
* If this edition of the publication is updated due to the discovery and correction of typos or errata, you will get a free download of the corrected edition.
Experience Something New!
Each game from Green Ronin has free sample material available through our Web site, RPGNow.com, and DriveThruRPG.com. Learn a new game and experience what you've been missing today!
Game: Dragon Age RPG
The Dragon Age RPG is based on BioWare's popular Dragon Age RPG franchise, and brings the dark and gritty world of Thedas to your gaming table. This Quickstart Guide - originally featured on Free RPG Day - features rules, an adventure, and pre-generated characters so you can jump right into the action.
Game: DC Adventures (with Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition Rules)
The county fair is being held in Smallville this year and Superboy, the town's famous local hero, is invited as guest of honor. But it's not all prize pigs and cotton candy, as Knockout has come to the fair, and she's aiming to make a big impression!
The DC ADVENTURES Quick Start includes an explanation of the rules, full game statistics for Superboy and Knockout, and a short adventure featuring a brawl at the county fair, so you can jump right in to the action.
Game: A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying
These ENnie Award-winning Quick-Start rules and the adventure Journey to King’s Landing are mean to be your introduction to both the A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying game and to the fantasy world detailed in George R.R. Martin’s best-selling series of novels.
A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying is about Machiavellian court politics, family alliances and enmities, the rise and fall of kingdoms, and the clash of armies, but it is also about honor and duty, family, the responsibilities of leadership, love and loss; tournaments, murders, conspiracies, prophecies, dreams, war, great victories, and terrible defeats. It’s about knights, both false and true... and it’s about dragons.
Welcome to the world of A Song of Ice and Fire, and remember the words of House Stark: “Winter is coming.”