The slides the intelligence guy was showing us had turned our guts cold. The pictures showed the main street of a small town, storefronts, a post office, the spire of a church...What caught my attention was the long, lean cigar shape hovering behind the church spire. Stories I'd read as a kid surfaced in the back of my mind, stories by Heinlein and Asimov...and H.G. Wells. The shape was blurry enough that for one icy second I thought it might be...
The next picture was a clearer view. It wasn't an extraterrestrial spacecraft...in many ways it was something worse.
Airlords of the Ozarks is a game module for use with GDW's World War III role-playing game, Twilight: 2000. The story follows the adventures of the player characters in the rugged hills and forests of the Ozark Mountains in northern Arkansas and southern Missouri early in the year 2001. The players must infiltrate and gather information on New America, a bizarre right-wing organization determined to build an empire from the ashes of the United States. Among the things they will discover will be Operation Eaglestrike, a plot involving salvaged cruise missiles.
Airlords of the Ozarks contains:
- A detailed background of New America, as well as information on its ideology and goals.
- Descriptions of regions, communities, and encounters in the Ozark Mountains area.
- Technical and game data on the Columbia, a giant, advanced-tech, airfoil cargo dirigible which crash-landed in the Ozarks in 1997, and on smaller dirigibles built by New American forces with parts and equipment salvaged from Columbia and other sources.
- Technical and game data on ultralight aircraft which may be encountered, including notes for using them in aerial combat.
- A map of the Ozarks region.
There's a wealth of information about Twilight: 2000 version 1.0 in the DTRPG Guide to Twilight: 2000 version 1.0 (free download).