He Who Lives By the Sword… Thrives By the Sword.
By the Sword: Dueling in Realms of Fantasy is loaded with material compatible with Dungeons & Dragons (3.5 Edition), d20, or HackMaster™ 4th edition, including:
- Basic Fighting Styles! Learn about single weapon, double weapon, two-handed and weapon and shield fighting styles!
- Advanced Fighting Styles! Whether you want to benefit from the bad hand deception, cloak’s skullduggery, diviner’s trick, double inverted grip, Hovaran’s pretense or any of a dozen more advanced fighting styles, this section has it all!
- Prestige Classes and Packages! Here are the dwarven axelord, gnome tumbler, halfling slinger, hand of the deity, iron fist, melee weapon master, ultimate archer and voyageur!
- Dueling Societes! Whether visiting the Disotal Academy, seeking an audience with the Swords of the Circle, or petitioning the Unvolen Adventurer’s Guild, characters discover new dueling societies, while DMs gain new organizations to add to the world around them.
- Common Dueling Weapons, Accessories and Armor! From the adarosh to the two-bladed, this section contains a wide variety of dueling swords, as well as new weapon accessories, and common legal and illegal dueling armors.
- New Feats! Whether you prefer the dirty sneak, double strike, effective footwork, expert feint, masterful parry, off-hand guard or twin-weapon fighting, there’s a feat here for you.
- Skill Options! New ways to use Balance, Bluff, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge, Sense Motive and Sleight of Hand await a clever duelist’s eyes!
- New Spells! Along with detailed listings for spells commonly used in duels, this section also contains new spells, such as create obstacle, taunt, and vanishing armor!
- Types of Duels! Choose to fight to the grave, to the death, to the pain, to first blood (or second blood), to the knockdown, to the knockout, and to the fall. Learn about ranged duels, jousts, and even duels of mental intellect over the chessboard!
- Provoking a Duel! Learn about the unintended offense, intended offense, vengeful offense, and the honor or reputation settlement! If you want to provoke a duel, this is how!
- Steps of a Duel! Discover how to proceed with a duel, once you’ve initiated one! Find out about seconds, moderators, spectators, and the rules of magic.
- Duels and the Law! Read about how kingdoms regard duels and those who practice them, as well as punishments for illegal dueling.
- Dungeon Master Tips! Along with details on integrating duels into your game, this section provides suggestion for the rules of interpretation - how you may interpret the rules to better represent a character.
Although usable in any campaign, this 64-page supplement uses the Kingdoms of Kalamar campaign setting as a base for descriptive text and cultural details. In this realistic, dynamic world, complex political alliances mix with marauding bands of humanoids, and medieval technology and culture come face to face with magic and the fantastic. Whatever type of adventure you seek, you can find it here.
This book is intended for use by d20 or D&D players and Dungeon Masters (DMs) and HackMaster players and GameMasters (GMs) alike. To use this book in a Dungeons & Dragons campaign, you need a copy of the D&D Player's Handbook and the Dungeon Master's Guide.
Dungeons & Dragons and D&D are trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc.