2012 Gold ENnie Award winner for Best Aid/Accessory, and 2012 nominee for Product of the Year! Includes DRM-free PDF, EPUB, MOBI, and text versions.
"What I'm saying is that GMs out here need this book. You may be fine coming up with awesome NPCs on your own and don't think you need something like this, and what I'm telling you is that this book is more than just a thousand characters, it's a million stories." -- Dave Chalker, Critical Hits review
Playing a character is like putting on a mask: Slip on a mask, and you become someone else.
This book presents 1,000 “masks” — non-player characters that are fun to play, and that your players will never forget. Featuring a foreword by gaming industry legend Wolfgang Baur, Masks is the ultimate NPC resource.
Think of your favorite character from a game, book, or movie. What makes them memorable? It’s not their Strength score, or how many hit points they have — it’s who they are as a person: what they look like, how they act, their personality, and what drives them.
Using a simple but powerful template that features Appearance, Roleplaying, Personality, Motivation, Background, and Traits, Masks provides the core elements of a thousand great characters. Masks NPCs are designed to be used on the fly, no prep required — but with enough depth to be used when planning adventures, as well.
Within this massive collection you’ll find the resources you need to portray vivid NPCs in your games:
- Fantasy, science fiction, and modern NPCs: 333 of each (334 in fantasy), all easily adaptable to any genre and any RPG
- Roles and traits: Every NPC has a role — villain, ally, or neutral — and is categorized by traits like famous, criminal, and warrior
- Clear, useful game mastering advice: Masks covers re-skinning NPCs to fit other genres, making your portrayals memorable, and more
- Handy tools: NPCs are indexed by trait, name, and author; an appendix lists groups like Tavern Patrons and Spaceport Denizens; and Masks provides over 1,900 names in an easy-to-use format
- No game mechanics: These system-neutral NPCs can be used in any RPG
Want to learn more about Masks? You can download a free 17-page PDF excerpt of the book (including 18 ready-to-use NPCS) and read reviews on the Engine Publishing website.
Need plots to go with your NPCs? Check out Eureka: 501 Adventure Plots to Inspire Game Masters, which makes a great companion to Masks. You can also buy both books in a bundle for 20% off: Ultimate Game Master's Toolkit: 501 Plots and 1,000 NPCs.