Forgotten, lost or left behind, hidden by time or design, they are the overgrown structures, the lonely reaches and the haunted depths - past futures which perhaps never were, and may now never be. Disused, derelict or ruined, they fester, flake and fade, but do they lie quiet - or unquiet? What lies in wait? Reordering, perhaps remade, even reemergent..? Do any dare discover?
Narrative: Abandoned Space is a tool designed to support the development of narratives set in and around this location type.
It is compatible with various genres and systems and suitable for use by writers, roleplayers and tabletop gamers in general. It can be used in creating characters, designing scenarios, adventures and campaigns, and generating events during games.
The eight pages are arranged for ease of use on screen or printed, the key grid occupying a single page. The tool includes:
- a context table able to produce over 19,000 seed sentences
- a complete Fabric for narrative creation, formed of 121 Strands
- instructions for the use of the Fabric, with diagrams and options
- 144 adjectives for further detail, grouped across 12 categories
- a group of 21 adjectives and 11 adverbs for location essence
- 32 proposals for the overaching nature of the abandoned space
- a pair of example narratives, each for a distinct fictional setting
- a compact diceless number generator for the four ranges used
- a table of minimum, average and maximum results for eight ranges
- a full index for the 121 Strands present in the complete Fabric
- a blank Fabric, for remaking the complete Fabric or creating new
- suggestions for alternative approaches, layering and expansion
- two pdfs provided - with colour cover (v1.3a) and without (v1.3b)
The tool can be used with Landscape: The Manse, the map elements acting as a setting or structure for development, as well as with Elaboration: Structure & Surface, which expands two of those 12 categories for further detail with another 540 terms.
Narrative: Abandoned Space is also part of the all current items bundle.