"My regular players have already listened to me yammering about how I gotta run this soon, but the rest of you should hear it too. This is one of those games that genuinely moves the state of the art along... There's a pretty solid chance that this is the best new game there'll be this year. Go check it out right away. You won't be sorry."
-- Bruce Baugh
"A lot of the work of the game and the body of the text goes into describing this demented technicolor dreamland where you buy cotton candy powerups with memories of old girlfriends from guys with duck feet, and watery tarts send you on quests to deliver goblins in envelopes, and monkeys want you to collect round loaves of bread. Yes, kids, this is the Pilgrim's Progress meets the Tibetan Book of the Dead meets Carl Jung meets Monkeybone RPG you've been waiting for."
-- Rob MacDougall
Maybe you've never felt anything strongly: from the day you were born, you rarely cried or laughed. Interacting with other people was always difficult, because you suffered a fundamental separation from them.
Maybe you've always been "normal," but one day woke up feeling a raging hollowness inside. You don't know why or how, but now something important is missing from you.
Maybe you've ground your spirit down to the nub in pursuing your base desires, running from your fears, drowning all that you found meaningful in excess.
Maybe you drove yourself beyond your limits, attempting to do the impossible. You succeeded -- but it was too late. Despite your heroic efforts, everything went to hell anyway... and it took part of you with it.
Maybe you've purposefully sold what makes you you to achieve your dreams of wealth, love, or power. Once the euphoria of success wore off, your victory tasted like ashes in your mouth.
Maybe everything has gone wrong since you lost your lucky charm, the railroad pocket-watch your grandfather gave you on his deathbed. The tick tick tick of that watch got you through many long nights of the soul -- and now it's missing, and with it, your peace of mind.
You've realized something terrible has happened: the scales have fallen from your eyes. At this moment, the world is strange, dreamlike, and mutable. Everything is in flux; anything is possible. You see the monsters and magi, sinners and saints, angels and demons who walk the streets with you. Rainbow rings beckon -- are they gates to heaven, hell, or limbo? You feel empty, hollow, cold, hurt. Perhaps you're mad. Perhaps you're saner than you've ever been before.
You're Dead Inside. What are you going to do about it?
"The game is, all at once, challenging, disturbing and thought-provoking, in all the best senses of the words."
-- Gareth-Michael Skarka
Inside You Will Find:
- A complete game system. The Prose Descriptive Qualities (PDQ) System has been designed for evocative simplicity, speed, and flexibility in play. Three levels of resolution, suitable for any type of situation. (A free download containing the PDQ Core Rules is available here on RPGNow.)
- An inventive setting. The Spirit World, where monsters and magi rub shoulders on the everchanging streets, where hopes war with fears, and every action taken is charged with value.
- An immersive, different style of roleplaying. Experience a game where what your character does is almost less important than why your character does it.
- Substantial advice and discussion. On all phases of RPGing, whether you participate as a player or as a GM.
Dead Inside: The Roleplaying Game of Loss & Redemption
* Written by Chad Underkoffler * Art by Chris Cooper * Cover by Steve Archer *