TL/DR: This is a nice size adventure with lots of nice full color artwork that should take a few sessions to go through clocking in around 90 pages, at a price that is very economical.
- Lots of memorable NPCs and creatures / opponents.
- Interesting plot that is mostly straightforward but enough twists to keep players on their toes.
- Interesting encounters throughout some of which are optional.
- Great full color artwork and some nice B&W artwork spread generously throughout the book, never feels like "wall of text".
- Very good cartography with detailed maps that would work well for VTT if they were separated from the PDF.
- Interesting new magic and magic items and other interesting items.
- Excellent player handout props that can help draw the players into the adventure.
- You get a lot of content for the price.
- Maps should be separate JPG files to make it easier to use on VTT.
- Encounters seem really difficult for their CR. I think inexperienced players at level 1 party would most likely party wipe.
- A lot of the information is presented haphazardly in a way that reads ok but makes looking up things during play harder, could use a detailed index.
First of all, this adventure is more of a rescue mission than an "escape", just to nitpick the title a bit. I suppose you could actually easily change the scenario to be an actual escape if you wanted to use some higher level PC's and bump up the difficulty a bit by making them search for their equipment while escaping. The plot overall is straightforward, but there's a lot of characters here with their own motivations that can complicate things easily. Smart players will play off the various factions in the prison against each other. This adventure would be pretty easy to convert to 5e or other versions of DnD. This is part 1 of a series but there does not really seem to be much here other than possibly NPCs that would carry over after this mission is over, so it's also great as a stand alone adventure. This adventure would be pretty easy to scale up to challenge a higher level party, in fact I doubt that many level 1 parties will survive it. Overall I recommend this adventure as an interesting and "twisted" dark fantasy adventure.